Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 22:00:16 +0200
From: Paul Schutte <sjpschutte@...il.com>
To: sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: starting Sabotage project/booting off the hard drive

Hi Will,

I am going to give you my hacker addition instructions.

Bassically take the image that is working in qemu. Lets call it sabotage.img

Caution !!!  This will wipe the target drive !!!!
Do "dd if=sabotage.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1M" assuming your target drive is
/dev/sdX.
Do a "partprobe" or reboot or whatever you like to sync the kernel
partition table with the one on disk.
Reboot is probably best.

If you are "really" lucky it will boot and work, but I suspect not. You
need the right drivers for your hardware.

I use an image and kernel from Ubuntu
I copy /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic and
/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic from an Ubuntu distro to the /boot
partition of the target disk.
I also tar the /lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic directory (It has to match
with the image and kernel that you used in the above step)
I would then untar it onto my target root partition so that it ends up in
/lib/modules/3.13.0-24-generic or whatever the version is you choose.

Obviously you have to edit /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg to accomodate
whatever kernel and initrd you choose.

That should do it.

Regards
Paul

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM, will cunningham <willpanther@...il.com>
wrote:

> Fellow Sabateur's,
>
> Well I'm more of a sab looking to earn his wings, a small intro before
> getting rolling, my emails'll be technical after explaining where I'm at...
>
> I'm a couple months into a long term project to use Sabotage as a base to
> clean up/customize a small set of apps we use including dependencies, and
> get myself to the next level of Linux control/knowledge along the way.
> Apologies in advance that while I've used Linux since 2000, I only know
> standard distro usage for Gentoo, Arch and Debian(Lilo Grub) etc, and for
> your answers, please feel free to point me at docs to read up on, as I'm
> just learning things like inittab is just for Sysv etc.
>
> I'm kind of too rock for country too country for rock n roll as we've done
> things like compile our own kernel when using Gentoo, but did it in the
> most standard way(make menuconfig etc) and it's taking a while to find
> where you put the kernel etc.  I also understand that some of the things
> I'll be trying I'm a bit of a guinea pig here, but I think it'll help the
> distro to test real world usage as I get control over Sabotage.
>
> I've bought an Optiplex 745 here in the office for this, and in a Debian
> install I've gotten Sabotage running as both changeroot and from Qemu using
> your scripts to make a .img file.  I've never used Qemu, so this took a
> while to get handy at.
>
> I'm stuck trying to take the Sabotage directory I changeroot into to boot
> off the hard drive.  I copied it to a usb drive; using fdisk from an Arch
> cd I repartitioned the hard drive and loaded the Sabotage directory from
> the USB drive to /dev/sda1 and I've tried to get the MBR in proper Extlinux
> form, with different combinations of first trying to get the Debian install
> to run off Syslinux, and then using the Arch cd to tweek for Extlinux, but
> I ain't getting my Sabotage boot directory extlinux.conf file read when
> booting yet.
>
> Also, when copying the Sabotage directory to the USB drive I lost the
> symbolic links used(which makes sense as they're soft links).
>
> So what should I do next to get my Sabotage directory booting off the hard
> drive, or should I install Sabotage in  a Debian install again and take a
> different route for this?
>
> OK, sorry for the long email, but I wanted you to understand that I have
> no problem with loading/reloading puttering tinkering etc while we get this
> going.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will

Content of type "text/html" skipped