Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:36:38 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Authentication Failure

Hi Josh,

Thank you for asking this question on the list.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:55:03AM -0600, Josh Larocque wrote:
> I'm running Fedora Core 8 (upgraded using yum from FC5.)  The problem I'm having crept in through the upgrade process to FC8.  popa3d was running fine on FC5 until this upgrade.

Where did this build of popa3d come from?  If it's a package, then what
package?  If it's a custom build, then how did you build it?

If you can obtain this info, please post the AUTH_* settings from
params.h used during popa3d build.  Also, please post the output of
"ldd /usr/sbin/popa3d" (or using whatever pathname for the popa3d binary
is configured with xinetd).  If PAM is being used, then please post the
corresponding PAM config file, which might be /etc/pam.d/popa3d.  If
not, then post the line for "shadow" from /etc/nsswitch.conf.

> Is there some possible authentication disconnect between popa3d and the system?

Yes.

> What other packages could I focus on troubleshooting to resolve this issue?

pam, glibc.

Maybe try running "/sbin/ldconfig" (to update the dynamic linker's
cache) and see if that helps.  If nscd is running, try stopping it (and
test without it).

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: 5B341F15  fp: B3FB 63F4 D7A3 BCCC 6F6E  FC55 A2FC 027C 5B34 1F15