Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 13:28:01 -0400
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Submitting Partial Password Hashes to Pwned Password Lookup

Arnold,
   Thanks for the comments! I've looked into that topic in the past
and the current state of HSMs resembled the wild wild west. That being
said, more and more cloud providers are providing access to HSMs for
deployments [0]. If I had to point to two blockers for widespread
adoption I'd say cost (why should security money be spent here vs
ensuring they don't get hacked in the first place), and lack of
standard libraries/interfaces. Aka there is a *ton* of custom
development to make sure your applications play nice with the HSM and
then there's the cost of the HSM itself.

>> The cost of such measures, at least for large installations, is not great compared to the risks avoided.

I've gotten, (and agree with), a lot of push-back on similar
statements to the above. The cost can be deceptively high when it
comes to custom code, maintenance, and administration. For example,
things like altering your backup/restore procedures can sneak up on
you in unexpected ways. Also these HSMs become mission critical pieces
where a failure can render your entire service unavailable, (which can
cost lots of money). At the same time "risks avoided" can quickly
become an contentious conversation.

So I'm not disagreeing with you that I'd love to see password cracking
become a thing of the past! I'm just jaded on the feasibility of
widespread deployment of HSMs.

Cheers,
Matt

[0] https://aws.amazon.com/cloudhsm/