Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 13:27:37 +0100
From: "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Authentication vs identification

On 12/17/2017 02:58 AM, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> On Dec 16, 2017, at 3:30 AM, "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net> wrote:
>
>>> Although authentication typically requires the active participation of the prover, while identification may not, that is not the crucial distinction. It would be a mistake to define the difference in those terms.
>>
>> a counterexample?
>
> Every time you tell someone your name or enter your username into a site you are participating in the identification process.

come on! i meant the opposite counterexample: an auth occurrence that
does not require my active participation.

the original claim was about the auth requiring smthng.
NOT about the id excluding my participation.

still, when i provide ma passport to a party that wants to ID me, i do
not ID myself, they do it to me.