Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 18:31:21 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: passwdqc-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: curse words in passwords

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 08, 2019 at 07:59:32PM +0100, Solar Designer wrote:
> I finally approached the task of cleaning up our word list used for
> generated passphrases, and adding other words to make up for the removed
> ones and keep the count at 4096.
>
> This took some trial and error - e.g., some approaches didn't produce
> enough words.  I describe below the approach I ended up settling on.

The more I worked on this, the more work there was left.  I've since
changed the approach to hand-picking individual words.  It is difficult
to reach 4096 words within the same length limits and with the new
constraints fully applied - but probably possible.  I've postponed
further work on this for now, to release passwdqc 1.4.0 without the
updated wordlist yet, but intend to continue after the release.

I also ran this Twitter poll, and the results are interesting:

https://twitter.com/solardiz/status/1204760397473030144

"Poll: Should random passphrase generators avoid NSFW words?

 7% No preference or Other
14% Yes
49% No
30% Optionally

183 votes"

There are also some tweet replies.

With this, we got to think of how to make the filtered wordlist
optional, and whether to possibly generate even more consistently NSFW
passphrases in some other optional mode.

Alexander