Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 20:25:54 +0300
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: new Owl

On 2016-08-28 18:33:32 +0300, croco@...nwall.com wrote:

 >>> We'll need to decide on whether and what to do with Owl next,
 >>> beside the prolonged life support. One possibility is turning
 >>> it into a smaller (and safer?) OpenVZ 7 hosting platform

 >> That's how I use it.
 >> Besides being the virtualization host, Owl perfectly fits for
 >> small services normally running in a VDS (for me, that's only
 >> OpenVPN) or in VPS

 > Colleagues, could you pay attention to another possible task
 > Owl perfectly fits, namely a router/NAT box, primarily for
 > SOHO environment?

Yes: small Atom-based PC can replace and outperform all commonly
used SOHO devices, such as NAT boxes, switches, NASes, P2P clients
media servers etc.

 > I actually used Owl as a router for approx. 12 years (well,
 > there was a P1 box with two ethernets running Owl). I decided
 > to retire that box when I actually realized that it consumes
 > a notable amount of electricity running 24*7, generating a lot
 > of noise with all these coolers,

I use just a 9-years-old Core Quad Q6600-based server capable of
running one VDS and several VPSes, which consumes approx. 200 kW*h
of electricity; for me, it worth the money I pay for that.

 > and a tiny Raspberry Pi will do exactly the same at almost no
 > electricity cost and with no noise at all.

When you need just a little more than a simple NAT box, that's the
most obvious solution.

 > I would continue using Owl for that purpose but I failed at
 > my attempts to build it for Raspberry,

That's ARM, which is a completely different architecture. However,
I think I'd be able to build Owl for my BPI-R1 board once I'd find
how to boot it (1) with custom kernel built by me and (2) with root
partition on a hard disk or at least on a USB flash.

 > so my RasPi now runs Raspbian.

Fffffuuuuuuuuu...

 > From the other hand, there are some (actually, many) devices
 > that are able to run OpenWRT;

All those devices I know of are MIPS-based, which gives us yet
another completely different architecture.

 > I think Owl, if it existed for these devices, could be better
 > option than OpenWRT.

Owl would be too big for them... Typical OpenWRT fits into a 8Mb
Flash ROM and runs in 32 (or even 16) Mb of RAM.

 > Furthermore, I wouln't be too surprized to see quagga being
 > included into Owl or at least being available as a package,
 > making Owl PC a good cheap replacement for a Cisco router :-)

Yes, it should be added to "must have" packages list for Owl.

Now, this list (reflecting my personal preferences and needs)
contains the following:

1. Packages which should be available "out-of-box":

dovecot
git
minicom
msmtp
nginx
openvpn
ppp
qemu
quagga
rsync
tcpdump
trafshow
wget

2. Other packages (I already have built them):

centerim
gd
httpd
jabberd2
libjpeg
libpng
mc
mongodb
mysql (mariadb)
php
postgresql
samba
squid

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8