Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 16:27:29 +0000
From: Simon Baker <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Andrew Crichton <andy@...ycrichton.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Owl future

> > Let's look at this differently: what was the value of Owl so far?

Small, simple, elegant, lean.

As close to the bsd's as was reasonable.

Virtualization support was a pleasant bonus, but not expected.

> > Finally, as to the future of Owl itself, we need to know why we'd be
> > continuing to put effort into Owl.  Do we have more new approaches to
> > demo to others in this way, or would we be playing catch-up?  I think it
> > might be mostly the latter.

Imho, without embracing kvm, and therefore taking on that clusterfuck of a
security model, you cannot compete with red hat et al in the enterprise
space.  That said, I don't believe that was ever your intention.  For me,
Owl is turning in to an heirloom linux.  And, that is not a bad goal.

Keep it small, keep it safe, and keep it tidy.

S.

Content of type "text/html" skipped