Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 14:56:17 +0400
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: dalias@...ifal.cx
Subject: Re: gcc-related bug?

John,

thank you for your suggesion, but..

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 04:40:38PM +0100, John Spencer wrote:

> Afaik glibc should already come with its own libssp, so having it in
> gcc as well is redundant (there's a configure flag for that, which
> should be set automatically when using glibc, but it can be
> overridden like this:
> gcc_cv_libc_provides_ssp=yes make ... when building gcc).
> Your issue comes from -pie tho which pulls in __stack_chk_fail_local
> (and that one should be only in libssp_nonshared.a).
> so it seems your gcc was incorrectly configured.
> maybe Rich (CC'ed) knows more details ?
>
> either way, removing -pie from the CFLAGS should work around the issue.

well, I removed the -pie flag from wherever it was there, and actually
nothing changed: the build fails exactly on the same place with the same
error message.

Actually speaking, I believe there should be something related to the
version or a particular build of gcc which is in Owl, but I've got no
experience with packing it and, hence, no idea of what could went wrong.
Anyone from Openwall to have any ideas?  And, specially, could it be true
that Ruby was never tried under Owl before?

--
Croco