Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:45:10 +0300
From: Mesut Can Gürle <mesutcang@...il.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: gsoc 2012 participation

Hello,

I am a MSc student at Dokuz Eylul University(www.deu.edu.tr). I have been
using debian-ubuntu for 6 years. I was graduated at 2009. Then I worked for
a firewall distribution called Firelog (www.firelog.com.tr) for 3 years. It
is a Freebsd based firewall distribution. Last month I quited job. Then I
turned back to university for master programme. I want to participate GSOC
programme with Openwall. I am having two classes so I have much free time.

I think "Support and setup a package repository (for easier
updates<http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/upgrade>),
possibly with Zypper, yum, or apt" is a good project for me to begin
working with Openwall. I think about common Linux package repositories. A
repository contains binary packages, and a index file to follow some
package informations like version, hash for files, repo signature etc. This
information can be stored in a xml file. Also a client tool to manage
packages, easy command line tool to install, update, delete packages from
repository. This tool can be used for both Ubuntu, Redhat etc
distributions. This tool can get system information about 64 bit or
distribution and do specific jobs according to this. I think we can use
Python for client application. The first implementation would be done for
updates.

Do you have any suggestions about this project? Also what is your ideas
about this project?

--
Best regards,
Mesut Can Gürle