Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:11:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: missing $(CFLAGS) in several specs

Vasiliy,

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 05:16:32PM +0400, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> 2/3 packages don't always use our %optflags.

The keyword here is "always" - that is, we did previously make sure that
our packages do use %optflags for building their C/C++ source files
(with few exceptions, such as for the kernel).  However, approx. 1/3 of
the packages do not use %optflags while linking (which normally does not
matter).  I reported this same thing in here a week ago.

> No LDFLAGS or CFLAGS.  What's the right pattern for the linkage
> invocation of gcc?  Does it need additional $(LDFLAGS) and $(CFLAGS) or
> only $(LDFLAGS)?

I think opinions will vary on this.

I almost thought that we'd need to either have almost all of our
packages (except for special things like the kernel) use %optflags for
both compilation and linking, or we'd need to introduce a separate set
of flags for the linker and have our packages use that.  But then I
learned (in part due to the discussion in here, in part on my own) that
other distros simply make -Wl,-z,relro the default in their gcc, and
that they avoid the need to pass -fstack-protector at link time due to
having the required symbols in glibc 2.4+ and/or due to having this
option the default in their patched gcc.  As long as these features
would have been the only reasons for us to pass any system-wide options
at link time, we can avoid having to do that in these same ways.  So we
do not need to modify our individual packages for this now.

Alexander