Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 12:55:41 -0400
From: "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler@...eeler.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ASLRn't is still alive and well on x86 kernels,
 despite CVE-2024-26621 patch

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote in

On Jul 10, 2024, at 5:44 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso <steffen@...oden.eu> wrote:
> I thought on Linux MAP_DENYWRITE is actually an ignored flag.

I believe you're correct, but I believe what Yves-Alexis Perez is showing is the
flags that are being *passed* to the kernel (whether or not they DO anything).
Which is why there's a proposal to *make* MAP_DENYWRITE do something in this case.

My plea is that if this DOES start doing something, PLEASE document that ASAP
(including a note that it USED to be ignored). I fear that this security property
might, on some platforms, depend on a quiet undocumented change.

--- David A. Wheeler