Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2024 08:47:22 +0900
From: Dominique Martinet <asmadeus@...ewreck.org>
To: Damien Miller <djm@....openbsd.org>, oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Announce: OpenSSH 9.8 released

Damien Miller wrote on Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 02:10:04AM -0600:
> OpenSSH 9.8 has just been released. It will be available from the
> mirrors listed at https://www.openssh.com/ shortly.

Thanks for all the work towards this release.

Just a paperwork question as I couldn't find the information anywhere,
was there any CVE assigned to the 2nd security issue?

I'm asking because I tried updating the alpine package[1], and given the
first issue is a slightly different problem on musl it probably needs a
different label than CVE-2024-6387 ; I'm honestly still not quite sure
how all this works after all these years but at the very least a search
on cve.mitre.org[2] didn't turn up anything, so I assume redhat (who
issued the first CVE) didn't process the second problem?

(although to be fair the non-safety is still a problem on alpine, so
that CVE might still apply, it's just no longer a free/malloc race with
syslog but something that hasn't been studied as extensively... labeling
is hard.)

[1] https://gitlab.alpinelinux.org/alpine/aports/-/merge_requests/68482#note_417509
[2] https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=openssh

Damien Miller wrote on Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 02:10:04AM -0600:
> 1) Race condition in sshd(8)

Looking at other announces I assume CVE-2024-6387 is specific to this.

> 2) Logic error in ssh(1) ObscureKeystrokeTiming

I couldn't find anything on this one.

Thanks,
--
Dominique Martinet | Asmadeus