Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:33:47 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh server compromise

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 11:00:09PM +0100, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 08:51:26AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > This injects an obfuscated script to be executed at the end of configure. This
> > script is fairly obfuscated and data from "test" .xz files in the repository.
>
> Gynvael Coldwind @gynvael performed what's probably the most elaborate
> analysis of the bash obfuscation so far.  I'm posting it in here on his
> behalf.  The original blog post is at:
>
> https://gynvael.coldwind.pl/?lang=en&id=782

Much of the scripted part of the backdoor is now also illustrated by
Thomas Roccia @fr0gger_ in:

https://twitter.com/fr0gger_/status/1774342248437813525

I'm attaching a scaled down and color-reduced (but legible) version of
the image ("convert -strip -quality 100 -resize 50% -colors 12").

Alexander

Download attachment "fr0gger-xz-backdoor.png" of type "image/png" (173677 bytes)