Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2018 02:02:43 +0200
From: Marcus Brinkmann <marcus.brinkmann@...r-uni-bochum.de>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE-2018-12020 in GnuPG

Hi,

On 06/08/2018 09:36 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> just a heads up, since we weren't notified in advance and it's Friday evening
> (in Europe at least).

Yes.  I tried to disclose this responsibly with Werner Koch (and in
coordination with other affected projects), but within two hours he did
a unilateral full disclosure without getting back to me.

:(

> There's a nasty vulnerability in GnuPG which can be apparently used to bypass
> signature verification when a program calls gpg to verify a signature and
> parses the output:
>
> https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-announce/2018q2/000425.html
> https://dev.gnupg.org/T4012
>
> It might be worth checking whether package managers signature verification is
> affected.
>
> Apt doesn't seems affected at first sight (it uses gpgv) but we'll double
> check.

I am still handling this under responsible disclosure. This is why I
have not spoken out yet, and the CVE is not public. But what you say is
important and correct.

Thanks,
Marcus

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)