Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 19:09:45 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: LibVNCServer rfbserver.c: rfbProcessClientNormalMessage() case rfbClientCutText doesn't sanitize msg.cct.length

Hi,

I've just created the below GitHub issue, and I'm also posting its
description in here.  This applies at least to LibVNCServer versions
0.9.9 (RHEL7) to latest in the GitHub repo as of this writing (and thus
probably including latest release, which is 0.9.11, but I didn't check
the release specifically).

https://github.com/LibVNC/libvncserver/issues/218

While I consider this a security-relevant issue, I feel there's no
overall benefit from reporting it under an embargo, so here goes.

libvncserver/rfbserver.c: rfbProcessClientNormalMessage() contains the
following code:

    case rfbClientCutText:

        if ((n = rfbReadExact(cl, ((char *)&msg) + 1,
                           sz_rfbClientCutTextMsg - 1)) <= 0) {
            if (n != 0)
                rfbLogPerror("rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: read");
            rfbCloseClient(cl);
            return;
        }

        msg.cct.length = Swap32IfLE(msg.cct.length);

        str = (char *)malloc(msg.cct.length);
        if (str == NULL) {
                rfbLogPerror("rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: not enough memory");
                rfbCloseClient(cl);
                return;
        }

        if ((n = rfbReadExact(cl, str, msg.cct.length)) <= 0) {
            if (n != 0)
                rfbLogPerror("rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: read");
            free(str);
            rfbCloseClient(cl);
            return;
        }
        rfbStatRecordMessageRcvd(cl, msg.type, sz_rfbClientCutTextMsg+msg.cct.length, sz_rfbClientCutTextMsg+msg.cct.length);
        if(!cl->viewOnly) {
            cl->screen->setXCutText(str, msg.cct.length, cl);
        }
        free(str);

        return;

This passes the client-provided 32-bit message length field's value
directly into malloc(), reads up to this many bytes from the client, and
then passes the full value to the library-user-provided setXCutText()
callback (where the value might be higher than the number of bytes
actually read - with uninitialized and potentially sensitive data
afterwards - and it might also be too high for the callback's
implementation to handle safely).  There may also be integer overflow in
the addition of sz_rfbClientCutTextMsg (which is 8) to the value in the
call to rfbStatRecordMessageRcvd(); I did not look into what
consequences this might have.

I first found the issue during Openwall's security audit of the
Virtuozzo 7 product, which uses a RHEL7-derived package of
LibVNCServer-0.9.9 from its prl-vzvncserver component.  A corresponding
Virtuozzo 7 fix is:

https://src.openvz.org/projects/OVZ/repos/prl-vzvncserver/commits/1204a8872d90c78a2be404dd4b025124bb01b2c5

which hardens prl-vzvncserver's setXCutText() callback - but the rest of
the issue needs to be fixed in LibVNCServer itself, hence the (belated)
report to them and in here.

We would like to thank the Virtuozzo company for funding the effort.

Included below is the relevant excerpt from our Virtuozzo 7 report: