Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 14:05:08 +0100
From: John Haxby <john.haxby@...cle.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cve issue discussion

On 07/08/17 13:47, Glenn Randers-Pehrson wrote:
> It's not causing a crash, just a delay.  You'll safely get either an OOM
> message or an EOF message.and no memory leak.

That's scant comfort when your browser is the one hit by the OOM killer
and then again when you restart it.  And also while you're wondering
what's going on because your laptop is basically completely
non-responsive ...

So yes, it's a remote DoS and definitely worth a CVE.  We have had other
similar CVEs in the past with image handling libraries not being
sufficiently paranoid.

jch