Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 13:17:55 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Guido Vranken <guidovranken@...il.com>
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 4 remote vulnerabilities in OpenVPN

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 12:40:57PM +0200, Guido Vranken wrote:
> An extensive effort to find security vulnerabilities in OpenVPN has
> resulted in 4 vulnerabilities of such severity that they have been
> kept under embargo until today.
> Interestingly, this comes shortly after the results of two source code
> audits were released, which both failed to detect these problems.
> The worst vulnerability of the 4 allows a client the drain the
> server's memory, which, due to a particular technical circumstance,
> may be exploited to achieve remote code execution.
>
> An extensive write-up can be found here:
> https://guidovranken.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/the-openvpn-post-audit-bug-bonanza/
> . A technical explanation for every vulnerability is provided, and I
> ponder the efficacy of source code audits.

That's very cool, but we have a policy here to include actual
vulnerability detail in the list postings.  Your blog might be gone in
some years, but hopefully some oss-security archives will stay around.

"At least the most essential part of your message (e.g., vulnerability
detail and/or exploit) should be directly included in the message itself
(and in plain text), rather than only included by reference to an
external resource.  Posting links to relevant external resources as well
is acceptable, but posting only links is not.  Your message should remain
valuable even with all of the external resources gone."

I've attached a text/plain export of your blog post to this message.

Alexander

View attachment "openvpn-post-audit-bug-bonanza.txt" of type "text/plain" (21532 bytes)