Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 20:05:34 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Vixie/ISC Cron group crontab to root escalation

Hi,

Two group crontab to root privsep bypasses were found: one in Cron
itself (with some dependency on the rest of the system) and the other in
Debian/Ubuntu postinst script for it.  These issues are minor because
they are only privsep bypasses, so to exploit them one would need to
gain group crontab first (via some other vulnerability).  Many systems
(and upstream ISC Cron default build/install) don't even have this
privsep layer, so there's nothing in those to bypass in the first place.
For those that do, it provides some defense-in-depth, even if
non-perfect.  Some fixes and workarounds have been developed and
proposed, some more are expected.

These findings are a result of a discussion with people from Qualys,
OpenBSD, Debian, and Ubuntu.

Detail:

Some historical notes on Vixie Cron (now ISC Cron):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron#Modern_versions

"[...] Vixie cron, originally coded by Paul Vixie in 1987.  Version 3 of
Vixie cron was released in late 1993.  Version 4.1 was renamed to ISC
Cron and was released in January 2004.  Version 3, with some minor
bugfixes, is used in most distributions of Linux and BSDs.

In 2007, Red Hat forked vixie-cron 4.1 to the cronie project and
included anacron 2.3 in 2009."

First, this issue isn't exactly a vulnerability in ISC Cron.  While
Paul Vixie kindly accepted changes into upstream ISC Cron implementing
optional support for installation with the crontab(1) program SGID to
group crontab, so that security-hardened systems have fewer changes to
maintain, this isn't how upstream ISC Cron is configured and installed
by default.  The current (and probably final?) upstream version is
"cron_4.1.shar 201 KB 01/23/2004" at ftp://ftp.isc.org/isc/cron/ (the
only remaining upstream URL?) and it has CRON_GROUP commented out and
installation as SUID root:

X                       /* Define this to run crontab setgid instead of
X                        * setuid root.  Group access will be used to read
X                        * the tabs/atjobs dirs and the allow/deny files.
X                        * If this is not defined then crontab and at
X                        * must be setuid root.
X                        */
X/*#define CRON_GROUP   "crontab"       /*-*/

and:

X                       $(INSTALL) -c -m 4111 -o root -s crontab $(DESTBIN)/

Thus, in a default install and on many systems this layer of privilege
separation is not enabled anyway, and so there's no "group crontab to
root escalation" since a suitable vulnerability in crontab(1) (or in the
SUID binary startup code in the kernel, dynamic linker, or libc) would
result in a root compromise right away.

It's only some systems that do install crontab(1) SGID crontab that are
affected by the issue described below, and only to the relatively minor
extent of at worst bringing them on par with the systems that did not
take advantage of this privilege separation layer.

Now let's proceed to the actual issue, fixed in OpenBSD yesterday.

In a mostly unrelated posting to the distros list, the Qualys Security
Advisory team casually mentioned that on OpenBSD "/usr/bin/at is
SGID-crontab (which can be escalated to full root privileges)".  I asked
them "How can group crontab be escalated to full root privileges?" and
on May 26 they provided the below detail:

| 1/ Group crontab can write to both:
|
|  25740    4 drwxrwx--T    2 root     crontab       512 Jul 26  2016 /var/cron/atjobs
|  25741    4 drwx-wx--T    2 root     crontab	   512 Jul 26  2016 /var/cron/tabs
|
| 2/ Both "at" and cron files are checked for the correct owner, but
| there's an exception for root-owned files. "at" files must have their
| user execute bit set so we couldn't exploit this loophole through "at"
| files, but there's no such check for cron files.
|
| 3/ On OpenBSD, at least one daemon allows you to create a temporary file
| (in /tmp) that belongs to root and contains your own (arbitrary) data,
| and you can then hard-link it to /var/cron/tabs.
|
| 4/ This doesn't give you root immediately, because there's already a
| /var/cron/tabs/root (and /var/cron/tabs is sticky), but:
|
| - you can either obtain an admin's privileges and trojan his su (or does
|   anyone have a better idea?);
|
| - or you can obtain the privileges of one of the system accounts, wait
|   until the next reboot, delete root's crontab through one of OpenBSD's
|   startup scripts, and then create your own root crontab.
|
| This includes a few OpenBSD-specific tricks, but maybe the main issue
| (hard-linked root-owned files whose content is attacker-controlled) is
| more generic?
|
| We thought this was a known issue

I wish that at this point we switched to public discussion on
oss-security, since the issue wasn't directly triggerable and was only a
privsep bypass, but out of inertia the discussion proceeded in private.

The gist of the attack is that the original program managing the
temporary file deletes its own link to the file, which results in the
remaining malicious link having st_nlink of 1, thus satisfying the
"st_nlink == 1" requirement.  When I first read Qualys' response above,
this detail looked potentially new to me.  However, further in the