Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 14:15:06 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Werner Koch <wk@...pg.org>, Pascal Cuoq <cuoq@...st-in-soft.com>,
	Rapha??l Rieu-Helft <raphael.rieu-helft@...st-in-soft.com>
Subject: Re: memory issues in libksba 1.3.4 and git

Hi,

I thought I had fixed that ezmlm-idx incompatibility with Werner's setup
of Gnus, but it seems not - perhaps it's not exactly that same old bug,
even if very similar:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/08/18/20

In those old bug reports, it was about MIME sections completely lacking
headers.  In Werner's messages, the MIME section has only the
Content-Transfer-Encoding header, but not a Content-Type header.

Also, Werner's latest message appears to have an invalid boundary
string.  (The previous message for which corruption occurred had a
valid boundary string, even if unusual.  These unusual boundary strings
might or might not be relevant to the problem.)  Specifically:

--=SRI-target-ANDVT-Freeh-anthrax-[Hello-to-all-my-friends-and-fans-in=

The "[" character isn't in the allowed set per RFC 2046:

     boundary := 0*69<bchars> bcharsnospace

     bchars := bcharsnospace / " "

     bcharsnospace := DIGIT / ALPHA / "'" / "(" / ")" /
                      "+" / "_" / "," / "-" / "." /

Unfortunately, the message corruption occurs post moderator approval, so
I couldn't easily see whether it occurred this time or not without
approving the message first.  I guess I'd need to debug it on a test
list, re-injecting Werner's message on my own, but I don't currently
have time for that.  I'll include Werner's original message below.

Werner, maybe you could try this old workaround for next time you post? -

  (setq mml-insert-mime-headers-always t)

Thanks, and sorry, and yes this is pretty ridiculous.

Alexander