Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 15:14:24 +0530
From: "Arjun Basnet" <arjun@...ersecurityworks.com>
To: <oss-security@...ts.openwall.com>,
	<cve-assign@...re.org>
Cc: <s3curityshastragar@...il.com>
Subject: SEH Local buffer overflow vulnerability

Hello List,

Could you please tell if this issue is applicable for CVE?

I tried contacting vendor for reporting the issue but due to unavailability
of contact details was unable to do so. Hence I am sending this mail to with
the issue and request for CVE

A very common and awarded serenity audio player(Latest Version) and Malx
media player(Older Version) (
http://malx-media-player.software.informer.com/awards/)  is vulnerable to
buffer overflow vulnerability, An attacker can create a malicious m3u and
running the malicious file through the media player crashes the media player
through an structure exception handling (SEH)  and allows code execution on
that system. This can help the attacker to gain access of the machine.

Affected Versions:

The vulnerabilities was tested on Windows 7 and XP SP2 and other could work
on other version of Windows( not checked). Following version of media player
are vulnerable:

Serenity audio Player 3.2.3

Malx media player 3.2.2 and lower version may also be affected(Not checked)

http://malsmith.kyabram.biz/serenity/

Discovered by:

Arjun Basnet from Cyber Security Works Pvt. Ltd.

Please feel free to contact me for any additional information.

Have a nice day !

Thanks & Regard's

Arjun Basnet