Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:19:28 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: chet.ramey@...e.edu
Subject: Re: CVE-2014-6271: remote code execution through bash

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:36:24AM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> On 9/24/14, 8:14 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> > What about no longer inheriting functions with names that don't contain
> > any lowercase letters?
>
> It's a heuristic like any other, but I think it's even more obscure and
> mysterious than the other suggestions.

I agree.  I only suggested it as an interim measure if you felt that a
more invasive change was not acceptable yet.

I think Florian's prefix-suffix patch is actually a better way to go
(right now, unless there's some drawback I am not yet aware of), and at
a later time function imports should require to be enabled with a
non-default option.

Alexander