Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 15:03:56 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [AMENDED] [CVE-2014-0130] Ruby on Rails: Directory
 Traversal Vulnerability With Certain Route Configurations

On 05/07/2014 10:53 AM, Jacob Kaplan-Moss wrote:
> Hey Rafael -
>
> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Rafael Mendonça França <
> rafaelmfranca@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> An earlier version of this advisory incorrectly assumed that the
>> only way to trigger this vulnerability was with routes containing
>> '*action'.  There are additional attack vectors and as a result
>> *all* users are advised to upgrade to a fixed version as soon as
>> possible.
>>

> Can you clarify what these "additional attack vectors" are? We've
> been looking at this closely here at Heroku, and as far as we can
> tell it's only the original vector (*action/:action). What are we
> missing here?
>
> We'd like to be better able to evaluate if we're vulnerable -- and,
> more importantly, we'd like to understand if this is a big enough
> deal for us to notify our customers and directly encourage them to
> upgrade (a step we've taken in the past). However, without more
> details about these "additional vectors" we're kinda shooting in
> the dark. Can you share more details?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jacob Kaplan-Moss Director of Security, Heroku

I'm also looking at our code and other people's code. The pattern of
*action doesn't seem to popular, in fact searching github shows _0_
occurrence of "*action" in ruby code (lots of occurrences in non ruby
code). So either this pattern is never used or GitHub is blocking that
specific search term for Ruby, which doesn't seem to be the case, or
it's incredibly rare.

So yeah knowing the other vectors would be good! Thanks.

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993