Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 19:44:53 -0800
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
Cc: "Hans J. Koch" <hjk@...sjkoch.de>, Nico Golde <oss-security+ml@...lde.de>,
	oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, "security@...nel.org" <security@...nel.org>,
	Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@...cle.com>
Subject: Re: kernel: uio: CVE-2013-6763 [was: Re: some
 unstracked linux kernel security fixes]

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 01:18:39PM +0100, Petr Matousek wrote:
>> >
>> > IOW, with the current changes, isn't the functionality broken for
>> > non page-aligned addr and/or size?
>
> This should now be fixed in Linus's tree, right?

Well, that depends on what you mean by "fixed".

If somebody depended on "we'll just mmap the page(s) that contained
the partial and unaligned resource", then current git is very very
broken, because it doesn't allow that at all.

But if you meant that somebody could mess with things and try to
access crud *around* a non-page-aligned resource, then current git
fixed that and no longer allows mmap's that expose other resources
aside from the one explicitly managed by uio.

          Linus