Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:44:07 -0400
From: Donald Stufft <donald@...fft.io>
To: kseifried@...hat.com
Cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Request: Insecure Software Download in pip

On Jul 30, 2013, at 2:32 AM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com> wrote:

> Signed PGP part
> On 07/30/2013 12:28 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 30, 2013, at 2:21 AM, Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com
> > <mailto:kseifried@...hat.com>> wrote:

> >> <mailto:kseifried@...hat.com>>

> >> The affected versions are every released version since 0.8.1
> >> which

> >> So to confirm, we're talking about the line:
> >>
> >> "Verification is not needed when downloading from central index,
> >> and should be avoided to reduce the computation overhead."
> >>
> >> So accessing the central index is done over HTTP by default, no
> >> support for HTTPS previous to commit
> >> https://github.com/pypa/pip/commit/e80c387a26858c4d7ff43c5f030b04b03fd43dfe
> >>

> correct?
> >>
> >> - -- Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT) PGP:
> >> 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993
> >>

> > The central index is pypi.python.org <http://pypi.python.org> and
> > historically (and at the time of that commit) it was not accessed
> > securely (plaintext HTTP, no authenticity checks etc). The
> > mirroring support, (located at, a.pyp.python.org
> > <http://a.pyp.python.org>, b.pypi.python.org
> > <http://b.pypi.python.org>, …) which that commit adds and PEP381
> > deals with, was supposed to have authenticity checking preventing
> > a malicious mirror operator from attacking you by checking a html
> > manifest that included hashes was signed by a key owned by the
> > central index (pypi.python.org <http://pypi.python.org>). That
> > commit does not include checking that the mirrors are not hosting
> > content that differs from the central index.
> >
> > So basically the lack of authenticity checking when installing
> > directly from the central index is a separate issue which has been
> > (mostly) addressed with pip 1.3, and more so with 1.4. However this
> > request deals explicitly with the implementation of the protocol
> > for installing from the hosts that mirror the central index, but
> > are not the central index.
> >
> > For what it's worth my PR to fix it is here
> > https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/1098
> >
> > Between myself, the comment on the PR, and the mailing list I have
> > 3 pip developers +1ing the change so it's likely it's going to land
> > unless one of the others has concerns.
> >
> > ----------------- Donald Stufft PGP: 0x6E3CBCE93372DCFA // 7C6B
> > 7C5D 5E2B 6356 A926 F04F 6E3C BCE9 3372 DCFA
> >

> So does this need two CVEs potentially? E.g. one for the central issue
> and one for the mirror issue? In any event if it's the same issue but
> they get fixed in different versions that would trigger a CVE split.

There was a CVE for pip not verifying TLS, https://access.redhat.com/security/cve/CVE-2013-1629
However that says it was RESERVED so I'm not sure how to make
that unreserved? I've not done much with requesting CVEs before.

I do believe they are separate issues though and deserve separate
CVEs.

Also as a status update my fix for this just landed in the develop branch
this morning so the fix will be released in 1.5. It removes --use-mirrors
and the automatic discovery via DNS, and it makes the --mirrors option
(which allowed you to specify which mirror you wanted) an alias
for --extra-index-url. It's true that the mirrors are all still only available
on HTTP but I don't believe that piece is a problem for pip as the user
would have had to explicit use ``--mirrors http://f.pypi.python.org/simple``.

So It's fixed :) Question is just now does it get a CVE so I can try to document
our change log with CVE numbers for these issues.

> - --
> Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
> PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993

Donald Stufft

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (802 bytes)