Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 13:19:50 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@...thhorseman.net>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@...ian.org>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: evolution mail client GPG key selection
 issue

On 07/25/2013 11:05 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On 07/25/2013 04:46 AM, Kurt Seifried wrote:
>> Yeah this was discussed internally a bit at Red Hat after you
>> filed the bug, it's a messy problem. I think one concern was
>> where do you want to place policy decisions for key usage and
>> trust, in GPG, in the app using it, or something else?
>
> This is a critical observation.  there currently exists a lot of
> infrastructure which uses gpg as the backend for dealing with
> keys. Moving those decision processes out of gpg and into frontends
> means that any tool which relies on gpg itself won't be able to
> make use of those policy decisions implemented only in a frontend.

One problem moving it to the backend is I may trust your key to sign
email, but not to sign code and vice versa. At least for RPM this is
handled internally (you install the key into RPM) so that's one less
worry.

>> One concern I have is I sometimes used to (not any more!)
>> download all the signing keys for keys I was using to see if I
>> could establish a web of trust.
>
> Do you refresh your keyring regularly?  If not, you risk not
> receiving

Yup. Key management sucks even with good software, and we don't have
good software for this. Witness CRL/OCSP and then all the vendors
shipping browser updates to specifically blacklist compromised
certificates.

> notification of revocation and other updates.  If you do refresh
> your keyring regularly, then you are also vulnerable to arbitrary
> user ID and subkey injection, since keys are fetched by keyid or
> fingerprint (including by subkey) and anyone can graft someone
> else's primary key to their own key as a subkey (even an expired
> one, or one without proper usage flags).

Yeah the use of KeyIDs is just stupid (although I get why they did it,
I still think it was stupid), they're to short. We should be using
fingerprints only. Sigh.

> In short: if anyone is relying on their local keyring as a "safe"
> storage place for keys they believe are valid, they're in an
> untenable position.

True, and trust me if my key ever gets compromised (and I know about
it) I'll be phoning certain people and not relying on key revocation
to let them know.

> GnuPG needs the user to explicitly indicate which keys are valid,
> and user agents which use GnuPG to encrypt messages need to only
> send to keys which are known to be validly bound (by a trusted
> certifier) to the User ID in question.

The problem here is the all or nothing trust setting. I may trust your
key enough to use it to encrypt email to you, but not to accept signed
email from you for example. To steal a phrase from Moxie Marlinspike
"no trust agility".

> This can be done by either (a) designating certain keys with
> strong enough "ownertrust" and then being willing to rely on their
> certifications, or by the user themselves certifying keys that
> they believe to be valid.  If the user is the only trusted
> certifier, and they have a key that they are willing to use for a
> remote peer but they do not want to publish their certification,
> they can make a non-exportable certification (a.k.a. "local
> signature") to indicate to gpg that the peer's key is valid for
> their address.

Also for what kind of usage.

>> Any ways for evolutions please use CVE-2013-4166 for this issue.
>> Has anyone checked other popular mail clients like
>> thunderbird/mutt/etc?
>
> Thunderbird's enigmail plugin has a user preference (in the
> "advanced" pane of the expert preferences dialog, in the config
> editor as extensions.enigmail.hushMailSupport) that says "Use '<'
> and '>' to specify email addresses".  The help text also mentions
> "disable if recipients have old hushmail keys" -- this defaults to
> being checked (the config option is "false" when the checkbox is
> checked, confusingly).  So by default enigmail is "fixing" things
> in the same way as the proposed evolution fix, if i understand the
> bug report correctly.

Yah, enigmail is surprisingly decent.

> However, enigmail also has an option (under the "sending" pane of
> the hexpert preferences dialog, in the config editor as
> extensions.enigmail.alwaysTrustSend) which says "Always trust
> people's keys", with the help text of "Do not use the Web of Trust
> to determine the validaty of keys".  this defaults to "true"
> (checked), which means that enigmail will happily send mail to a
> key that gpg does not believe belongs to the recipient address (i
> just tested this; it looks like with the default settings, enigmail
> will encrypt to the first key returned by gpg that has the given
> user ID, even if a later matching key has a higher validity).

from enigmail's perspective why is that key present at all, so I can
see defaulting to trusting it, basically the policy sounds like "if
the user bothers to grab a key lets use it" which is probably not the
safest implicit policy, but does get things working.

> This is a separate issue from the User ID matching issue
> originally raised in this thread though.
>
> --dkg

- --
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)
PGP: 0x5E267993 A90B F995 7350 148F 66BF 7554 160D 4553 5E26 7993