Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:30:08 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Nick Kralevich <nnk@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: CVE request -- kernel: execshield: predictable
 ascii armour base address

On 03/20/2012 10:01 AM, Nick Kralevich wrote:
> Can someone explain to me why this is worthy of a CVE? I can see this as a
> bug of course.  But a "vulnerability"?
>
> This bug, by itself, does not cause a vulnerability. It just makes
> vulnerabilities easier to exploit. I'm not sure this is worthy of a CVE
> unless we're willing to assign CVEs to all fixed address allocations.
>
> -- Nick

To quote Steven on a previous issue:

http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2012/q1/177

In this case, the product's security feature is not living up to its
advertised capability (by generating shorter passwords than expected)
so, even if it's not that severe an issue, it's probably still of some
importance to some people.