Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 14:10:03 -0700
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifrie@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: speaking of DoS, openssh and dropbear (CVE-2006-1206)

On 01/02/2012 04:33 PM, Nico Golde wrote:
> Hi,
> * Kurt Seifried <kseifrie@...hat.com> [2012-01-02 04:56]:
> [...]
>
>> The rest of the solutions do not lend themselves to this problem or would
>> require significant changes to the OpenSSH protocol/client/server which is a
>> bad bad idea.
>>
>> Anything we do to address this issue should be extremely simple and
>> conservative, the OpenSSH server and client are very stable and robust
>> pieces of code, any modifications to them make me nervous.
>>
>> I suspect the simplest and more effective solution might be some form of
>> progressive timeout for IP's that fail to authenticate (drop the connection
>> entry silently and ignore them in favor of real clients).
>>
>> Long term I'd like to see more work on hash cash type solutions, being able
>> to arbitrarily set or have a reactive system that requires increased work on
>> the client end to prove they are a legitimate client would help with this
>> whole DoS/DDoS class of problem to some degree.
> See above, it would be really nice to see if there is a project which already
> does that.
hashcash.org has implementations in multiple languages (including a bash
script), it uses partial SHA-1 collisions, so easy to do for server, not
sure if you can increase/decrease workload on the fly incrementally
(i.e. require 16, 17, 18 bit partial matches if the server starts
getting loaded).

--

-- Kurt Seifried / Red Hat Security Response Team