Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 09:28:00 +0300
From: Eren Türkay <eren@...dus.org.tr>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: D-Link DCS-2121 Semicolon Vulnerability

Hello,

I've come up with this [0] blog post which, accordingly to author,
describes a 0day vulnerability within D-Link DCS-2121 camera.

In summary, the data posted from the web configuration interface to samba is
directly used as a parameter without proper sanitization. This leads to
an unwanted system call.

Although the author says that the vulnerability can only be used by
authenticated users via web interface, it would be dangerous together
with CSRF on authenticated user. I think that it's worth looking, or, at
least let the vendor know.

"""
Disclaimer (for not-so-funny people): yes this is "0day", unreported to
the vendor. I even suspect the whole D-Link product line is vulnerable
to the same bug (if not the whole world of low-end embedded systems (and
even business class products)). However, since Web access requires
authentication, this bug might be exploitable by administrators only, so
it is only useful for people who would like to gain a shell on their own
systems. Do not panic :)
"""

[0] http://newsoft-tech.blogspot.com/2010/09/d-link-dcs-2121-and-state-of-embedded.html

Regards,