Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 11:39:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...-smtp.mitre.org>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ffmpeg issues

For context, CVE-2011-2162 was assigned because of Mandriva's reference to
"several additional vulnerabilites originally discovered by Google Chrome
developers were also fixed with this advisory" without any reference to a
CVE identifier.

For CVE-2011-2160, http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/ includes a changelog.
CVE-2011-2160 was built from the March 17, 2011 entry:

   "Reinhard Tartler
   backported several security fixes to the 0.5 release branch and made
   another point release, that is 0.5.4. Note, 0.5 is quite old and this
   release is mostly for those stuck with the 0.5 branch, and not so
   interesting for end users. ... Changelog between 0.5.3 and 0.5.4 ...
   Fix invalid reads in VC-1 decoding (related to CVE-2011-0723)."

This suggests that the vendor may have fixed an issue related to
CVE-2011-0723, but not CVE-2011-0723 itself. The other items in the
20110317 changelog map directly the CVE names, without a "related to"
qualifier. This triggers a SPLIT.

- Steve