Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:55:47 -0500
From: "Patrick J. Volkerding" <security@...ckware.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Suid mount helpers fail to anticipate RLIMIT_FSIZE

On 03/31/2011 08:43 AM, Dan Rosenberg wrote:
> I'd also
> like to see distributions migrating away from /etc/mtab in general,
> since /proc/mounts seems like a much better replacement.

I imagine that mount's -f (fake mount by editing mtab) and -n (mount
without editing mtab) options are not going to work if /etc/mtab becomes
a symbolic link to /proc/mounts, so that's liable to break a few things.
  In the long run it does seem like a good plan, but there might be a
few bumps in the road.  I wonder what the rationale was for faking mtab
mounts in the first place?