Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:31:18 -0400
From: Dan Rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@...e.de>, Petr Baudis <pasky@...e.cz>
Subject: Re: Suid mount helpers fail to anticipate RLIMIT_FSIZE

I've done some further investigation, and have found one of the
underlying problems.  addmntent() will return 0 (success) even if the
write was truncated:

  return (fprintf (stream, "%s %s %s %s %d %d\n",
                   mntcopy.mnt_fsname,
                   mntcopy.mnt_dir,
                   mntcopy.mnt_type,
                   mntcopy.mnt_opts,
                   mntcopy.mnt_freq,
                   mntcopy.mnt_passno)
          < 0 ? 1 : 0);

Of course, this only matters if the process is catching the SIGXFSZ
that gets thrown if the resource limit is exceeded, but nearly all
suid mount helpers block or ignore signals (if they don't, that's an
additional problem, because the process could be terminated mid-write,
corrupting /etc/mtab or leaving a stale lockfile, for example).

So, I think the first step is to patch glibc to return success in
these functions if and only if the *full* contents have been written.
Then, it will be possible to have proper error handling in these
helper utilities.  Currently, there's really no way for these programs
to know whether or not their calls to addmntent() actually succeeded
besides installing a special signal handler for SIGXFSZ (ugly).

After some further thinking and discussion, I think what needs to be
done is ensuring that all helpers make mtab edits to a temporary file,
and have proper error handling that cleans up correctly without
copying over to the actual /etc/mtab if anything bad happens.
Currently, some mount helpers edit /etc/mtab directly, and others use
a temporary file but don't have the proper error handling.

I think this one's going to fall into the hands of package maintainers
and distros, I don't have time to fix all of these.

-Dan