Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:30:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Josh Bressers <>
Cc: Solar Designer <>,
        "Steven M. Christey" <>,
        Stefan Fritsch <>, Florian Zumbiehl <>,
        Petr Uzel <>, Thomas Biege <>,
        Jan Kaluža <>
Subject: Re: CVE Request -- logrotate -- nine issues

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 01:21:05PM +0100, Jan Kaluža wrote:
> > I think logrotate should skip rotation of files in unsafe
> > directories and show error message instead. Logrotate should also
> > contain something like "--force" switch (this name is already used,
> > so we have to find better one, but I don't have anything better in
> > mind just now). With this switch logrotate should *not* skip unsafe
> > directories and rotate them as it currently does, but show the error
> > message. Basically it allows backward compatibility.
> "--override-unsafe-directory-check" perhaps? Make it a long option,
> so that there is no doubt that the user is doing something that's
> potentially dangerous.
> (I am following this discussion with great interest.)

It seems there is now a consensus on this (at least that's how I'm reading
it). Here is what I plan to do with CVE ids unless someone speaks up.

As best as I can tell, logrotate only needs a CVE id for this:

    8) Issue #8: logrotate: TOCTOU race condition by creation of new files
       (between opening the file and moment, final permissions have been
       applied) [information disclosure]

        It was found that logrotate utility used insecure default
        permissions, when creating of new files (time-of-check,
        time-of-use, TOCTOU race condition).  In some specific
        configurations, a local attacker could use this flaw to open the
        new file before the final permissions have been applied, leading to
        disclosure of sensitive information. A different vulnerability
        [1] (Issue #1)

        Source code background (issue reason):

We then will need to assign IDs for various broken uses of /var/log (If
someone has a list of the currently known ones, please pass it along)

What does everyone think?