Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 14:40:36 -0500
From: Dan Rosenberg <>
Cc: Helgi Þormar Þorbjörnsson <>
Subject: Re: CVE Request: PEAR Installer 1.9.1 <= - Symlink Attack

I'm not familiar with this code or any of the context surrounding this
fix, but it appears to be an incomplete fix.  Checking for existence
of a symlink and then opening the resource leaves open a window during
which a legitimate file can be replaced with a symlink.  Also, I don't
see a reason why a hard link couldn't be used for exploitation