Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:06:50 -0500 (EST)
From: "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
To: Jon Oberheide <jon@...rheide.org>
cc: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com,
        "Steven M. Christey" <coley@...us.mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Linux kernel address leaks

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010, Jon Oberheide wrote:

> Great. There's plenty of precedent for CVE assignment to vulnerabilities
> that leak information that can assist an attacker in exploitation.
>
> In particular, I'm thinking about the handful of ASLR information leaks
> (eg. CVE-2009-2691 [1]), where userspace addresses are leaked via /proc,
> assisting an attacker in exploiting a vulnerability in a setuid
> userspace binary.
>
> In this case, we have an analogous situation, except that we're leaking
> kernel address via /proc, assisting an attacker in exploiting
> vulnerability in the kernel.
>
> I don't see any reason why it would not be entirely appropriate to
> assign a CVE here.

I agree that it would be appropriate.

There is information that leaks from one entity to another entity that
should not have access to it, in the "intended" security model of the
Linux kernel (documented security model may be a different story...
anybody have any pointers?)  No matter how small the leak is.

As Dan pointed out, our original definition of "exposure" (the "E" in
"CVE") is that it "allows access to information or capabilities that can
be used by a hacker as a stepping-stone into a system or network."
(http://cve.mitre.org/about/terminology.html)  Kernel address leaks are
useful for attacking a protection mechanism.

The ultimate CVSS score, while likely low, is not relevant - it's still
non-zero.

The difficulty of creating a solution is not relevant, either.

There are some practical considerations from the larger CVE perspective,
e.g. if there are hundreds or thousands of kernel address leaks (which
wouldn't surprise me given what seems to be happening with struct
initialization) then there is a risk of having the CVE namespace being
overwhelmed by the sheer volume of these issues and making CVE IDs more
difficult to manage.  But that's not necessarily a reason to stop
assignment (the large number of recent library-loading issues for
Windows/Linux come to mind), and reporting these in large groups instead
of bug-by-bug would help keep the CVEs manageable.

If there is some formal or semi-formal position taken by, say, the Linux
kernel devs or the hardening team that declares "userspace is allowed to
know about a kernel address," then this becomes part of the
documented/intended security model, and CVE assignment wouldn't be
necessary.  (Just trying to be complete here...)

- Steve