Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 09:38:38 +0200
From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Jₑₙₛ Gustedt <jens.gustedt@...ia.fr>
Subject: Re: Alignment attribute in headers

Am Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 09:16:05AM +0200 schrieb Jₑₙₛ Gustedt:
> Since this is unified starting with C23 and I think we morally should
> have C conformance first and fallbacks only if imperatively needed
> I would go for

Ugh. Let the bike shedding begin. I will tell you that moral arguments
about software don't make a lot of sense to me, though.

>   #if __STDC_VERSION >= 202311L || __cplusplus >= 201100L
>   /* use alignas */
>   #elif __STDC_VERSION >= 201100L
>   /* use _Alignas */
>   #elif __GNUC__
>   /* use attribute */
>   #endif

Did you not read the part about the GCC version that claims C11
conformance but doesn't have _Alignas? Yes, that's a bug. Yes, it was
fixed. No, musl can't break compatibility with it.

If not for that, I would have gone with this version too, but that's
like saying "your code would be perfect if it did work".

Ciao,
Markus