Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 20:30:46 +0200
From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: making termios BOTHER speeds work

Am Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 01:55:12PM -0400 schrieb Jeffrey Walton:
> I have never encountered a need for a custom baud rate due to standardized
> UART chips. There are probably some edge cases out there. I'd like to hear
> about them.

Apparently, slightly mismatched timings are a thing. At work, we have a
certain serial device that works perfectly when connected to a PC at
38400 baud. When connected to one of our embedded devices, though, it
doesn't work. It starts working, if we tell the OS to use 38400 baud,
then hack the divisor register to get something more like 40000 baud.

This is weird, because all other serial devices work perfectly on the
embedded device (both at slower and higher speeds). Just this one box is
very picky about its baud rate.

Ciao,
Markus