Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 10:41:07 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: Max Filippov <jcmvbkbc@...il.com>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: [RFC v2 0/2] xtensa FDPIC port

On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 11:00:54AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 10:01:35AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > It's not what I observe. On my side it doesn't change the result of the
> > > dlopen test, and it also breaks building of all statically-linked tests.
> > >
> > > There are no relocations against the symbol 'main' neither in the test
> > > built with the original gcc nor in the test built with the patched one.
> > > dlopen.o built with the original gcc had R_SH_GOTOFFFUNCDESC
> > > relocation against the symbol 'main', dlopen.o built with the patched
> > > gcc has R_SH_GOTOFF instead. The code generated with the patched
> > > gcc:
> > >
> > >        if (dlsym(g, "main") != (void*)main) {
> > > 28c:   50 d1           mov.l   3d0 <main+0x3d0>,r1     ! 0 <main>
> > > 28e:   8c 31           add     r8,r1
> > > 290:   12 61           mov.l   @r1,r1
> > > 292:   13 62           mov     r1,r2
> > > 294:   8f 91           mov.w   3b6 <main+0x3b6>,r1     ! 1e0
> > > 296:   ec 31           add     r14,r1
> > > 298:   23 65           mov     r2,r5
> > > 29a:   1c 54           mov.l   @(48,r1),r4
> > > 29c:   83 6c           mov     r8,r12
> > > 29e:   4d d6           mov.l   3d4 <main+0x3d4>,r6     ! 130
> > > 2a0:   03 06           bsrf    r6
> > > 2a2:   09 00           nop
> > > 2a4:   03 61           mov     r0,r1
> > > 2a6:   4c d2           mov.l   3d8 <main+0x3d8>,r2     ! 0 <main>
> > > 2a8:   8c 32           add     r8,r2
> > > 2aa:   20 31           cmp/eq  r2,r1
> > > 2ac:   27 89           bt      2fe <main+0x2fe>
> > > 3d8:   00 00           .word 0x0000
> > >                        3d8: R_SH_GOTOFF        main
> > >
> > > doesn't look right to me at all. Using R_SH_GOTOFF
> > > for the symbol in text doesn't make sense. Using R_SH_GOT
> > > (AFAIU that's what you meant it to be) doesn't make sense
> > > to me as well, as the value stored in the GOT would be the
> > > address of the main() entry point, not of its descriptor.
> > >
> > > I believe that gcc need to generate R_SH_GOTFUNCDESC
> > > instead of R_SH_GOTOFFFUNCDESC for this test to work
> > > correctly, and that the linker need to put R_SH_FUNCDESC
> > > relocation against that GOT entry, so that the dynamic linker
> > > could put there the address of the function descriptor associated
> > > with the symbol.
> >
> > Indeed I messed this up. Ignore that patch. You're right that use of
> > R_SH_GOTOFFFUNCDESC is wrong -- it's "Used for the FDPIC-relative
> > offset to the function descriptor itself", which is never a constant
> > except for static/hidden functions or when static linking.
> >
> > However, you can test switching it to R_SH_GOTFUNCDESC just by using
> > -fPIC, and when you link, you still get the same problem, because the
> > linker is breaking it by binding at ld-time. So there are at least two
> > bugs in play here.
>
> The offending logic in bfd linker is SYMBOL_FUNCDESC_LOCAL macro in
> bfd/elf32-sh.c. SYMBOL_REFERENCES_LOCAL is not sufficient to conclude
> that the FUNCDESC can be expanded at ld time. I'm not sure how to
> write it yet, but the condition is:
>
>     !dynamic_linking || (SYMBOL_REFERENCES_LOCAL && !visible_outside_dso)

> [...]

I have what seem to be working patches for the linker and gcc.

The bfd link code for sh/fdpic was doing two things wrong: using the
condition "locally defined" rather than "externally visible" for
deciding how to handle function descriptors, and "optimizing" out the
symbol reference even once that was fixed. The patch corrects both
behaviors.

GCC was wrongly using GOTOFFFUNCDESC rather than GOTFUNCDESC for
locally defined but externally visible symbols. This could be worked
around with -fPIC, but the patch fixes it. (Probably should do
internal too, but nobody uses internal visibility because it's
underspecified and broken.)

Following the same logic changes should fix the problem on xtensa.

Rich

View attachment "bfd-sh.diff" of type "text/plain" (1418 bytes)

View attachment "gcc-sh.diff" of type "text/plain" (586 bytes)