Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:31:02 +0100
From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan@....net>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@...il.com>
Subject: Re: mDNS in musl

Am Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 04:17:44PM -0800 schrieb David Schinazi:
> I'm definitely supportive of the slippery slope argument, but I think
> there's still a real line between mDNS and NetBIOS. mDNS uses a different
> transport but lives inside the DNS namespace, whereas NetBIOS is really its
> own thing - NetBIOS names aren't valid DNS hostnames.

One thing that came to me after thinking about it: This really puts a
wrenchs in the works of the "just proxy it" argument.  Not for mDNS, but
more generally for further possible backends for the list of hosts. If
you want to support a backend that supports names that DNS can't, then
proxying isn't a solution.

We may have to look into integrating nscd support into the search for
host names. We already have it for passwd queries, after all. And then
of course there are all the attendant questions:
- Do we query nscd always or only with some config option?
- Do we query nscd after DNS or vice-versa? Is this not a policy
  question?
- Is nscd failure authoritative?
&c., &c.

Ciao,