Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2024 12:56:37 -0800
From: Russ Allbery <eagle@...ie.org>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: Đoàn Trần Công Danh <congdanhqx@...il.com>,
  tz@...a.org,
  musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [tz] Weird PST8PDT and EST5EDT behavior on Alpine Linux

Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> writes:

> If you want to use a file by that name, the safe way to request that is
> by prefixing it with a colon, as in TZ=:PST8PDT

We're going to change the test to use America/Los_Angeles by default and
only fall back if that doesn't work (probably should have done that about
fifteen years ago), but for the record, PST8PDT was for support for very
old commercial UNIXes where I believe that was the only recognized style
of TZ setting, and I'm pretty dubious that the POSIX-introduced :PST8PDT
syntax would work there.

One can quite reasonably argue that any system that doesn't understand
America/Los_Angeles is at this point a museum piece, so I don't think this
is a hugely important issue, but I don't think it has that obvious of a
solution.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@...ie.org)             <https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>