Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:47:53 +0300
From: Valery Ushakov <uwe@...err.spb.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Not sure how to debug this one.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2024 at 20:34:28 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:

> As you've noted, comments would be nice, but I'm not sure where they
> belong since it's the same logic on every arch.

In all of them?  You are looking at it from the PoV of someone who
maintains all of them and for you they are all in the picture at once.
But consider someone who tries to read one specific file in isolation.
Also in asm code the gory details of the specific CPU/ABI are mixed in
with the actual logic of what the code does, so at least in that
regard the comments will differ.  After 20+ years of working on and
off on netbsd code base, hopping all over the tree component-wise and
across half a dozen cpus for asm code, sometimes with gaps measured in
years - I've grown to appreciate well commented code that lets me
quickly swap the context into my brain when get back to that code a
decade later.

Like, what is jmp_buf::__fl? :) It's probably referred to in asm files
by a magic number, so there's just one instance of this name in the
source tree and it's not commented and is not cross-referencable with
the asm code without doing the math (after checking MD definitions).

-uwe