Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2024 12:32:31 -0600
From: Rob Landley <rob@...dley.net>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
Cc: Linux-sh list <linux-sh@...r.kernel.org>, musl <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: FDPIC on sh4?

On 2/16/24 06:25, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 2/15/24 10:47, Rich Felker wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 03:53:53PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> Hi Rich,

>>> ARM is the sole architecture that provides elf_fdpic_arch_lay_out_mm().
>>
>> Ah, I missed that this was a new mmu-ful only function. So I guess
>> something like the ARM one is needed. I'm not clear why this is
>> expected to be arch-specific, so it would probably be nice for the
>> kernel to provide a generic version that archs can use unless they
>> need specific behaviors here, or just make it conditional whether it's
>> called at all (only if the arch declares its presence) and use
>> defaults otherwise.
>
> It's in arch/arm/kernel/elf.c, and pretty short. Doesn't LOOK
> architecture-specific, although I'm not an expert. (Why SZ_16M instead of
> RLIM_STACK? No idea...)

arch/sh/kernel/elf.c doesn't exist so I cut and pasted the function into setup.c
just to see what would happen...

(Question about that file while I'm there: why are calibrate_delay(),
generic_mode_pins(), and test_mode_pin() not marked __init? And is marking
sh_fdt_init() as __ref equivalent to marking it __init?)

The build broke, I fixed it up to at least compile, and my sh2eb fdpic
filesystem didn't boot because...

Starting init: /bin/sh exists but couldn't execute it (error -8)

Exec format error, but I _think_ that's me trying to run a bit endian executable
on a little endian kernel build. :)

Anyway, to keep you posted, here's the "wrong fix" so far.  (Attached because
thunderbird "upgraded" itself and broke my wordrap disable plugin.)

Rob
View attachment "sh-fdpic-mmu.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (1102 bytes)