Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:53:27 -0500
From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney@...il.com>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: glob(GLOB_BRACE)

On Thu, 1 Feb 2024 at 09:27, Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 08:48:01AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > FYI, It's on the BSDs and glibc.
> > Found by libreswan's test framework on alpine.

> For glob and GLOB_BRACE, it looks like it's "just" a matter of
> iterating over the different expansions and applying glob to each, but
> it seems to be underspecified how it interacts with escaping, special
> chars, slashes, etc.
>
> Do you have good reasons in favor of inclusion? My impression is that
> everything that wants/needs it is shipping its own version of GNU glob
> or whatever that has it, or else very little is using it; otherwise it
> would have come up before. But if adding it allowed a lot of things to
> drop GNU glob and just use the libc glob, that might be compelling.

for libreswan, after some digging:

2007 new code added with glob(GLOB_BRACE) call
2014  #ifdef GLOB_BRACE added; it turns out due to musl
2024  while merging some glob() calls; problem re-discovered

So libreswan took the path of least resistance.  I suspect it wasn't alone.

Including it would let libreswan's config files be consistent across
platforms - no need for special documentation.

However, I also wonder if libreswan needs GLOB_BRACE.  It isn't needed
to expand the recommended <<include /etc/ipsec.d/*.conf>>.  I'll take
that up with libreswan.