Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:48:36 -0800
From: Fangrui Song <i@...kray.me>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Tatsuyuki Ishi <ishitatsuyuki@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Draft riscv64 TLSDESC implementation

On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 5:26 AM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> > > The assembly looks fine to me. (It’s nice that musl don’t need to bother with save/restore at all since DTVs are initialized eagerly..)
> > > For the patches mentioned in the other thread, most tests were done with glibc’s portable testsuite (tst-elf-*).
> > > If musl has a similar one, you should be able to run it with my GCC / binutils fork (with either --with_tls=desc at configure time or -mtls-dialect=desc at compile time).
> > >
> > > Tatsuyuki.

> > I have verified that the patch works using a runtime test under qemu-user.
> > I use Paul Kirth's pending LLVM codegen/assembly patch and my pending
> > lld patch:)
>
> Thanks for running tests!
>
> > Compile b.c to bb.s. Replace general dynamic code sequences (e.g.
> > `la.tls.gd a0,tls0; call __tls_get_addr@...`) with TLSDESC, e.g.
> > ```
> > ..Ltlsdesc_hi0:
> >   auipc a0, %tlsdesc_hi(tls0)
> >   ld  a1, %tlsdesc_load_lo(.Ltlsdesc_hi0)(a0)
> >   addi  a0, a0, %tlsdesc_add_lo(.Ltlsdesc_hi0)
> >   jalr  t0, 0(a1), %tlsdesc_call(.Ltlsdesc_hi0)
> >   add   a0, a0, tp
> > ```
>
> Is this due to compiler not supporting generation of TLSDESC sequence
> yet?

LLVM assembler and code gen support has been added
(https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/66915/files),
but the clang -mtls-dialect=desc part has not landed yet
(https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/pull/79256).

> If so, unlike a full test with compiler support, it does not test
> for the TLSDESC machinery honoring all the non-clobbering requirements
> of the ABI. But I think we can check by hand that that part of the ABI
> is honored.
>
> Rich

Yes.

% cat a.c
__thread int x;
void ext(int a, int b, int c, int d, int e, int f);
int foo(int a, int b, int c, int d, int e, int f) {
  int ret = ++x;
  ext(a, b, c, d, e, f);
  return ret;
}
% clang --target=riscv64 -mtls-dialect=desc -O1 -S a.c -fpic -o desc.s
# patched clang with -mtls-dialect=

We can verify that a0~a5 (the resigers holding arguments) are not spilled :)

BTW, when you add static relocation types to include/elf.h, be sure
that the `_I` suffix is not included
(typos in the spec, which will be fixed by
https://github.com/riscv-non-isa/riscv-elf-psabi-doc/pull/420)