Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 09:01:59 -0800
From: Fangrui Song <i@...kray.me>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Farid Zakaria <fmzakari@...c.edu>
Subject: Re: dynlink.c tests

> Is there a dynamic-loader test suite anyone is familiar with ?

FreeBSD rtld-elf has very few test
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/tree/main/libexec/rtld-elf/tests

glibc/elf contains extensive rtld tests. The Makefile-based test
system may be a bit tricky to deal with... but the coverage is quite
decent.
`configure --enable-hardcoded-path-in-tests` makes it easy to invoke a test.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 5:04 PM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 11:08:31AM -0700, Farid Zakaria wrote:
> > Just to be pedantic, few ideas come to mind:
> > - One could change the symbol count method to only use DT_HASH and it
> > would succeed until GCC removed it ;)
>
> There are already distros building with GNU-hash-only, so one of them
> would catch such breakage.

Yes.

(For the curious, https://maskray.me/blog/2023-04-12-elf-hash-function
describes a bug in *BSD that dlsym(dl, "ZZZZZW9p") returned NULL for a
DSO linked with -shared -fuse-ld=lld -Wl,--hash-style=sysv.)

> > - The order of resolution for dependencies
>
> This has changed before from whatever-it-was to something very
> intentional, and basic testing of the intended order was done at the
> time, but we don't have regularly run tests for it. While future
> changes here would come with manual testing like that again, it would
> be nice to have an automated framework for this.

Absolutely! Things like the path precedence, constructor order, etc
will be very useful to have test coverage.