Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 10:20:07 +0300
From: Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi>
To: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
Cc: Ariadne Conill <ariadne@...eferenced.org>, musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: option to enable eh_frame

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:09:22 +0300
Timo Teras <timo.teras@....fi> wrote:

> I do have some technical reasons why I'd prefer .eh_frame (getting it
> on core dumps). Fortunately I need these from development boxes where
> I can have custom build for internal use only. So if .debug_frame is
> needed for peace, then so be it.

I'm trying to implement this currently, and have two observations:

1) musl.so seems to have .eh_frame even with default options currently.
GCC insists generating it for the PLT. Though otherwise it's empty.
This is on gcc 10.3.1.

2) .debug_frame is 109944 bytes, while .eh_frame_hdr + .eh_frame is
83832. The size difference seems to be because of CIE entries not being
merged for .debug_frame.

Timo