Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 14:31:02 +0000
From: Pascal Cuoq <cuoq@...st-in-soft.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
CC: vilimp <vilimp@...ny.cz>
Subject: Re: clarify bswap a bit more for gcc

On 24 Mar 2019, at 12:26, vilimp@...ny.cz<mailto:vilimp@...ny.cz> wrote:

i know nearly nothing about programing, but is it possible to upstream this
patch, please? It gets rid of gcc's warnings.

If you search around for discussion about this GCC warning, you will find a lot of opinions such as

“That's the one warning that I like to disable. I hate having to write superfluous parentheses around conjunctions. I mean, come on. It's just as lame as requiring them around multiplications would be.” https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15405045

“Fortunately I live by my own rule, to avoid unnecessary parentheses” http://wordaligned.org/articles/fixing-compiler-warnings-the-hard-way

There is no reason to think that people in the position of making this change have not already compiled musl with GCC, seen the warning and decided it wasn't useful. Do “git grep parentheses” in musl and you'll find:

configure:tryflag CFLAGS_AUTO -Wno-parentheses

Whatever you did to compile musl, if I were you I would just try to find how to do it in in a way that does not activate this warning.

Pascal

Content of type "text/html" skipped