Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:39:51 +0000
From: Nicholas Wilson <nicholas.wilson@...lvnc.com>
To: "musl@...ts.openwall.com" <musl@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: TLS storage offsets for TLS_ABOVE_TP

Hi Rich,

Thanks as ever for your helpful response.

It sounds like these things need to written up somewhere; if there isn't a document maybe some code comments would help in the future, if someone else is confused (or trying like me to port to a new arch).

So on a new arch, we can be free to put the TP wherever we want with respect to the TLS block, as long as the linker and Musl agree on the distance between them. I'll pick 2*sizeof(void*) for Wasm to match Arm/AArch64 (I prefer "variant 1" to "variant 2" given the generated code sequence is simpler for the local exec model that Wasm will use).

It's a shame that the glibc spec is so out of date, perhaps a Musl wiki page would be helpful as a reference too?

All the best,
Nick