Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 15:39:13 -0600
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Why[,] ezmlm?

On 05/12/17 08:08, Solar Designer wrote:
> The sender domain identifies only the domain MX'es as allowed
> sending hosts, and asks recipients to reject mail from any other
> hosts.  We relay mail via our server.  Gmail rejects.  Everything
> works "as intended".
>
> I think whoever posted from that domain should have used different
> SPF settings, or if those settings are desired then shouldn't have
> posted from that domain.  This configuration is not mailing list
> compatible.

Except, as you note:

> (We already use our own envelope-from, valid per SPF, but that's
> often insufficient, as you can see.)

This is a misconfiguration on [insert mail provider here]'s part.

It isn't ezmlm (ezmlm does have faults, but this isn't one of them).

Yet another way Google can attempt to control communication.

> Maybe we should stop rewriting Subjects, but this solves only one
> of two problem categories (it wouldn't help in this specific
> example), and it's also something I'd rather not do.

As someone who gets a flurry of email every day (> 200), I can tell
you that I unsubscribed almost every ML that doesn't prefix subject
with its list name.  I don't believe in auto-filters (I'd never read
messages if they didn't hit Inbox), and it's a chore to pick out which
things I'm interested in based on subject alone without which ML it is.

So please don't stop rewriting Subjects.

Best to you and yours,
- --arw

- --
A. Wilcox (awilfox)