Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 12:13:54 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status towards next release (1.1.4)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 10:26:06AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 11:02:28PM -0700, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> > I'd like to at least test this to see how well it works.
> > I just discovered that sword built with C++11 regex support dies with
> > complaints related to the locale:
> > terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
> >   what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid
>
> What musl version? (1.1.3 or git?) I doubt this has anything to do
> with musl's actual locale implementation, which has essentially no
> outwardly-visible behavior right now, but we can check.
>
> If you're not using git, see if git fixes it. 1.1.3 and earlier
> rejected unknown locale names (anything but C, C.UTF-8, or POSIX).
> Now, any name is accepted, and unknown names are all aliases for
> C.UTF-8.

I was using Alpine's package (1.1.3 and cherry-picked fixes).
But after running git pull; ./configure; make; the new libc.so does not
fix this problem (tried with both LANG and LC_ALL set to each of C,
C.UTF-8, and POSIX).

Also, this error happens with mongodb on glibc systems where
localization isn't properly set up, so the error happens somewhere in the C++
toolchain/library stack (libstdc++ or perhaps icu?).

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham