Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 21:40:27 +0100
From: subscriber name <subscribernamegoeshere@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: total noob? - finding clear text password of a local windows 10 user,
 can read SAM and SYSTEM

sorry list, bothering by a total noob?

trying finding clear text password of a local windows 10 user, can read SAM
and SYSTEM

the windows system itself doesnt work any more, but i can read the NTFS and
copied over those two files to a linux system (kali) and tried first
generating a text file via python script:

> secretsdump.py -sam SAM -system SYSTEM LOCAL

that output a line with lines which i have now in a crackthispw.txt file.

> user name:1001:11122233445566aaabbccdd:zzzyyyyxxxxwwwww:::

is this an LM hash / line / entry? as far as I understood, then i wanted to
use john tool on this via

> john --incremental --format=LM crackthispw.txt

the ~/.john/john.pot file now contains a single line with

> $LM$aaabbccdde12345:

I am at a loss now? is this yet another LM hash or where do I go from here?
ty.